Friday, December 28, 2007

Just wanted to let you all know that the Consulate has our paperwork, but we're waiting to hear if they will need more paperwork to give us a visa appointment. Our homestudy technically expired (AGAIN) during all the hubbub, but we have our update in hand. It's just not in Haiti. And now we've got a hint that they will probably ask for a form from me claiming my income. It's a completely unnecessary form, but it seems like everyone has to attempt to keep my child away from me as long as possible. Yes, I've become paranoid now. ;)

We've got a lot of stuff happening for the next few days so I probably won't post again until some time in January. Our processor is going on a much needed vacation, but he seems to think that others can finish things up for us in his absence. If not, he'll be back on January 9th. That's less than two weeks. Can we wait that long? Hmm...maybe. ;)

So take a short break from checking this blog every day. I'm sure we won't have any more news until at least the 3rd or 4th as the first two days of the year are major holidays in Haiti (January 1st is Independence Day - great story - look it up!)

Keep praying! Those prayers have really been working lately! :D


Wednesday, December 26, 2007


I called U.S. Immigration this afternoon and we have been APPROVED!!  Woo hoo!!  They said our file would go to the Consular office in the morning.  I'm waiting to hear what we do next, but I'm betting we need to make a visa appointment.  January 1st is Haitian Independence Day so I doubt we could find tickets to go within the next week anyway, so we'll just wait to see what's next.  I just wanted to let you all know what was going on as soon as I could get to a computer.  :D

Stay tuned!!!

Friday, December 21, 2007

I just got through to Haiti and they DID get to see Janae's passport today. YAY!!! They told me I could call back on Wednesday (I believe the offices are closed Monday and Tuesday) so we won't know anything else until then.

Thanks for your prayers!




I just got an email yesterday from the officer in charge of U.S. Immigration in Haiti and, by the sounds of it, they just need to see Janae's passport and they will finalize things!!!!! She has had a passport since October!!! Our Haitian processor will be taking Janae's passport over to Immigration first thing this morning. Not sure what time that is, though. :)

I was not terribly hopeful when I got up yesterday. From the looks of things, there wasn't a way out. Now there is some light! YAY God!! But we're not home yet, so keep praying please.

I'll let you all know when I hear something from someone so you'll know how to continue to pray.

~Zaz, who is trying to sit still and having a REALLY hard time with it

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Let's just say the news on Friday wasn't good. No official decision has been made yet. The officer in charge at U.S. Immigration has assured me that they are doing everything they can to keep from declaring our adoption null and void. If they do end up doing that, it would basically mean starting over. After two years, I don't really have the energy to seriously consider that possibility right now.

The perceived glitch in our paperwork is on the Haitian side of things and there will be another meeting this coming week with the Haitian official involved. I don't even know which day.

Let's just say now that Janae will not be home in time for Christmas. Let's just keep praying that she just eventually gets home. Please understand if we don't really feel like talking a whole lot about this at the moment. Thanks for your understanding.

~Zaz, the tired

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

We still have no decision today. The Immigration people handling our file evidently met with legal counsel yesterday to discuss our case and the case of another family. There is a serious glitch on the Haitian side of our paperwork. No final decision was reached so they are meeting again on Thursday. We were told to call again on Friday morning.

Please continue to pray. Thank you!

Monday, December 10, 2007

Well, I still really don't know anything, but I'll give you all a synopsis of what has happened since last I posted.

We've called Haiti lots.

We were told that the officer in charge was ill.

We were told to call back tomorrow repeatedly.

When I was finally allowed to speak with someone about our case (not the officer in charge), she said that there was a problem with our file. Since our birth mom said initially that she would not sign and then came back a month later and did sign, they need to "seek legal counsel". Never mind that our birth mom hasn't parented this child in over 2 1/2 years. Never mind that we have legal custody of this child in Haiti. Never mind that we have loved Janae for over TWO YEARS. It doesn't matter.

We contacted Senator Coleman's office since his staff was very helpful when we were stuck in the mess that was our first Haitian adoption. I emailed the person in the office that helped my friend, Michelle, get her kids home. She responded right away. Hope they can help.

Last week when we asked for the officer in charge of Immigration by name, we almost got through. Then when they realized who we were, they said that he was out for the day. Yeah, right. "Call back next week."

So Bryan called this morning and was told to call back tomorrow for a "final answer". I'll be shocked if we get a "final answer" tomorrow. If it's positive, I'll be jumping up and down. If it's not positive, I won't let it be their "final answer". We will not rest until our daughter is sleeping in her own bed in Minnesota.

So, all this to say "PLEASE PRAY!" I will post again tomorrow, even if they don't answer the phone.

Thanks for your presence in our lives!